Vivaldi Technologies released a new version of the company’s Vivaldi web browser on June 20, 2019. The new Vivaldi 2.6 version introduces a native content blocking mechanism and includes new customization options.
Vivaldi 2.6 is available already via the browser’s automatic update functionality. Just select Vivaldi Menu > Help > Check for Updates to run a check for updates. The browser should pick up the new version automatically and install it on the system.
The new Vivaldi release is available as a direct download on the official company website as well. You can check the installed version by selecting Vivaldi Menu > Help > About Vivaldi.
Vivaldi 2.6: What is new
The big new feature in Vivaldi 2.6 is support for ad-blocking on abusive sites. The feature is enabled by default; it uses Google’s blocklist to determine whether to block advertisement on sites but hosts it on its own server for improved privacy as Vivaldi installations will retrieve the Vivaldi-hosted version when updates are available and not the version hosted by Google.
Abusive experiences that result in blocked advertisement include misleading behavior, site history manipulations, fake messages, auto-redirects, and others.
Vivaldi users may disable the feature under Settings > Privacy > Content Blocking, e.g. when they run a full content blocker already in the browser.
The blocklist takes care of some of the worst experiences related to advertisement on the Internet. It needs to be noted, however, that it won’t block all advertisement encountered on the Internet.
Check out our initial coverage of abusive ad blocking in Vivaldi here.
User Profile improvements
Vivaldi introduced support for user profiles in version 2.4 of the browser released in March 2019. Vivaldi 2.6 improves the feature in several ways. It is now possible to create multiple user profiles in a single Vivaldi installation directly.
Vivaldi users who don’t sign in to a Vivaldi account get options to update avatars, add and delete profiles in the popup, and to edit the avatar in the popup.
Other improvements in Vivaldi 2.6
Vivaldi 2.6 features other improvements that improve the browser in one way or another. Here is a short list of what is new:
- Performance improvements — Users who work with a lot of tabs should notice performance improvements in the new release.
- Saved Passwords filter — Settings > Privacy and filter features an option to filter by account name or website.
- Unread Tabs — The Window Panel displays the number of unread tabs (opened in background) as a badge.
- Find in Page — You may use Ctrl-Enter to open any link that the on-page search finds.
- Search favicon in search field — The favicon of the selected search engine is displayed now in the search field for easier identification.
- Razer Chroma headphone devices support added — Razer Chroma support was introduced in Vivaldi 2.5.
Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Vivaldi 2.6 is out featuring abusive advertisement blocking appeared first on gHacks Technology News.