The Document Foundation has released a new version of the Office suite LibreOffice. LibreOffice 6.4 introduces compatibility and performance improvements as well as new and improved features.
Downloads of LibreOffice 6.4 are already available on the official Document Foundation website. Downloads are provided for Windows, Mac and Linux; users may choose to download the full package or a torrent file to download the full release that way.
The internal update checker, if installed by the user, should pick up the new version of the Office suite as well.
The release notes provide a detailed list of changes. Here is a short list of the most important changes in LibreOffice 6.4:
- Writer: improved performance when importing files with many bookmarks.
- Writer: mark comments as resolved. Also, comments on Writer images and charts supported.
- Writer: btLr text direction is now available in Writer Frames.
- Writer: Table handling improvements including faster moving and deleting, fast table row and column moving and deleting, and new paste special menu for pasting table data into tables. Also, improved drag and drop operations to move table data.
- Calc: improved cell selections when cells contain hyperlinks.
- Calc: parallelized version of super scalar sample sort algorithm improves sorting.
- Calc: various performance improvements, e.g. speed improvements when copying with lots of comments and opening XLSX files or with lots of comments, saving XLS with lots of styles.
- Calc: new full-sheet preview PDF export option to export files in Calc to PDF with all pages on a sheet as one page in the PDF. This is done in the following way:
- Select File > Export as PDF
- On the General tab, check Full-Sheet Previews.
- Click on the Export button.
- Calc: XML improvements, now enabled directly (without having to enable experimental features).
- Impress / Draw: New Remove Hyperlink option in context menu in Impress.
- Impress / Draw: New Consolidate Text option.
- Impress / Draw: Performance improvements.
- Core: Hyperlink context menus are unified.
- Core: Generate QR Code feature added.
LibreOffice 6.4 installed fine on a test system running Windows 10.
Now You: Do you use LibreOffice? What is your take on the new release?